Holiday crackers are so fun and festive! In my family, they have become a highly anticipated tradition. I make these by hand with each season in mind. Here are my suggestions for a fabulous summer festival favor… Olde English Crackers provides a wonderful set of directions including a basic list of supplies, which are available though their website. Beyond the basics, here are my specific choices for summer:
- “Summer Garden” wrapping paper – available at Nashville Wraps
- 1/4 inch pink grosgrain ribbon – I purchased mine on ebay, but fabric and/or craft suppliers may carry this as well.
- Surprises: mini touchable bubbles in assorted bright colors available at ZeeBop! along with petite fairy charms purchased in bulk on ebay.
- Summer cracker riddles & quotations – These I made myself using Microsoft Word and yellow printing paper. Feel free to make your own or use these. Quotes courtesy of The Quote Garden and riddles courtesy of Dan Hersam’s blog.
Additional tips and tricks:
- I like to decorate my riddle cards with colorful marker and even fold them like fans just to make them feel even more festive.
- When fastening the snappers and the wrapping paper, before applying any glue, roll the paper over the form to make sure it is lined up properly, so the ends meet nicely.
- When using very petite trinkets like the fairy charms, it can be useful to cut small circles out of cardstock and place them over the filled tubes prior to tying off. In this way, they act as stoppers to prevent filling from falling out.
For additional suggestions on making wonderfully fun party crackers with a very personal touch, see also:
Take your time and have a blast!! Happy Summer!! :)