Ever feel struck with the desire to go beyond napkin rings or fancy folds? The answer… napkin clips! The beauty of these embellishments lies in their seamless ability to incorporate an additional fabric! Think of the possibilities… added color, texture, patterning, whatever tickles the imagination!
Specifically, for my winter table setting, I decided the delicate patterning of white sequined lace acted as just the touch I was looking for, reminiscent of glistening snowflakes. Lace napkins are impractical, however. Their delicate nature can prompt guests to squirm about actually using them (and rightfully so!) so I set to work making lacy napkin clips!
- Napkins. Make your own or use those you’ve chosen. In this case, I found some lovely and delicate Dransfield & Ross linen napkins on ebay. I particularly love the golden trim.
- Lace. I chose a gorgeous pattern of 5-inch French Alencon Bridal Lace trim with hand sewn sequins and pearls throughout. Once more, the answer was ebay. This pattern had been discontinued, and the seller was offering it at a deep discount. I then cut it into foot long strips.
- Buttons. I chose La Mode Decorative Buttons that reminded me of snowflakes: Style 49176 (catalog page 10 of 11). I purchased them at my local JoAnn Fabrics store.
- Darice Jewelry Designer Dangler Clips – also purchased them at local JoAnn Fabrics store.
- Thread. For this specific design, I chose white Gutermann sew all 100% polyester thread, an excellent all purpose thread choice, once more purchased at local JoAnn Fabrics store.
5 Easy Steps:
1. Simply fold your napkins twice on the diagonal, and then lay them as illustrated above.
2. Fold in each point creating a slight overlap. Gently tuck one into the other. See below.
Simple Gathering Stitch:
3. Hold lace with 12-inch side on the horizontal. Gently stitch a loose, wide gather stitch (simple in and out) and pull. Creating a gently fan. Tie off thread.
4. Stitch button over gather. I used as few stitches as possible both here and at the gathering phase described above, so that if I decide to repurpose this lovely lace (which is very likely), disassembly at a later time will be of minimal difficulty.
5. Gently hook dangle portion of clip through the button hole, then through a small section of lace, and finally back in its position.
And voila! Five easy steps, and the clip is complete!
Adjusting Clip Under Napkin Layers:
In addition to serving as a lovely embellishment, clip serves the purpose of holding the napkin fold together. This function can be particularly useful if you like the idea of letting your napkin assembly drape. The key here is to avoid the upper layer of napkin.
Covering Device Under Upper Napkin Layers:
Having left the upper layer, the clip can now be gently tucked beneath. Be sure to allow the button to show however, as its beauty augments the overall impression.
When arranging in table setting, cup and saucer gently sit on upper napkin point.
Winter Festivals… so much to celebrate & so much fun! Coming soon, so stay tuned:
- Winter Crafts: Recycled Snowflakes
- Winter Table Setting
- Winter Menu
- Winter Family Bonding
Happy Winter, Fire, & Snow!