I skipped the holiday crackers for my more “sophisticated” harvest extravaganza in August, but oooh they were missed! And for my Autumn Equinox Family Celebration, they are back in full force! Here are my suggestions for a fabulous September Festival favor… Olde English Crackers provides a wonderful set of directions including a basic list of supplies, which are available through their website. Beyond the basics, here are my specific choices for Autumn Equinox:
- Rossi Decorative Paper- Apples & Ivy 28×40 Inch Sheet available at Amazon.
- Offray 1/8″ 100% polyester ribbon in lavender, red, and apple green. I purchased mine locally at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores.
- Surprises: Mini Resin Apples from Amazon, assorted charms purchased locally from Michaels Stores, champagne party poppers, and a random selection of one of the following: mini slinky-like favors, mini cube puzzles, stretchable mood rings, and decorative mini playing cards
- Autumn Equinox Apple Lore– Usually I enclose riddle cards, but for this holiday, somehow I felt an urge to include cards describing cultural mythologies and lores concerning apples. I made them myself using Microsoft Word and lavender printing paper. Feel free to make your own or use these. Lore courtesy of Druidry.org
- Take your time laying out contents, maintaining your organization, and completing each step. It decreases stress and increases quality and enjoyment!
- I like to decorate my riddle cards with colorful marker and even fold them like fans just to make them feel even more festive.
- When fastening the snappers and the wrapping paper, before applying any glue, roll the paper over the form to make sure it is lined up properly, so the ends meet nicely.
- Sometimes I create stoppers so small trinkets do not fall out. This time, I am trying something new: enclosing trinkets in Organza Pouches so they don’t fly too far! (Purchased mine from Michaels Stores)
For additional suggestions on making wonderfully fun party crackers with a very personal touch, see also:
Take your time and have a blast!!
Happy harvest, apple picking, & Autumn Equinox! Stay tunes for more on the upcoming celebration!! :)