One of the most joyous aspects of summer is the plethora of sun. And with this brightness comes the maximal ability of our visual receptors to process color. For this reason a joyous way to celebrate summer is through vibrant hues. I decided to share my seasonal bliss with my neighborhood by dressing up my mailbox with a crocheted cozy. Feel free to follow my lead, or use it as an inspiration to create your own style and palette!
– F Hook (for bulk of project)
– K Hook (for fringe)
– 2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver Yarn – Day Glow
– approx. 19″ X 22″
I’m pretty flexible when it comes to patterning. I’ve done my best to document my steps, but please pay attention to the symmetry as a guide in case I’ve accidentally erred counting stitches, and just remember… it’s free ;-).
– Start with Ch 77
– Row 1: Start working in 5th chain from hook, * 3 DC (one in each of next 3 chs), ch1, 3DC (one per ch) starting in 2nd ch from hook, ch1, repeat from * ending with 1 DC in last ch. Ch 1 and turn.
– Row 2: SC in 1st ch, *Ch 3, SC in 4th Ch corresponding with the center chain in the clusters of three TC below, repeat from * to end. Ch 2 & turn
– Row 3: Ch1, *3 DC starting in 2nd ch from hook, Ch 1, Repeat from *, DC in last ch & turn
Rows: 4-37: Repeat rows 2 and 3 to end
– Pointy edging on smaller two opposite sides (19 in) based on this wonderful tutorial. Plan so point coincides with center stitch of DC clusters
– Simple SC in each stitch of larger two sides
5.5 inch strands, clusters of six, Follow these instructions courtesy of Gleeful Things.
Just attach ch 35 to each corner. I also created some free chains of 100 in case they are needed for additional attachment support.
Happy Summer!! Enjoy!!